Like many car insurers, NFU Mutual offers 3 levels of cover: third-party, third-party fire and theft, and comprehensive. Both its comprehensive and third-party, fire and theft policies are rated the full 5 out of 5 stars by Defaqto. Standard benefits of both policies include breakdown cover, a courtesy car and personal accident cover. These are all sometimes optional extras on car insurance policies.
Whilst the website could be easier to navigate around, what is available are details about the cover levels as well as how to make a claim. If you need a little more cover, NFU Mutual has several optional extras that can be bolted onto your policy.
You can only buy NFU insurance directly – it's not on price comparison sites. It's worth checking options on price comparison sites too, though, to make sure you get the best deal for you.
Best for: High-quality cover
- 24/7 claims line
- No admin fees for amending your policy
- RAC Mutual assist breakdown cover included with all car insurance policies
- NFU Mutual website a little difficult to navigate around
- Some wannabe customers report being turned down for cover due to their postcode or job
Not yet rated
Get a quote
NFU Mutual started as a provider for farmers, but now offers great levels of car insurance cover for everyone. All policies from NFU include breakdown cover, European cover, motor legal protection, trailer cover and access to a 24-hour motor legal advice helpline. Find out what else is included and how to save on your policy.
Who is NFU Mutual?
NFU Mutual, or the National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Society Ltd was founded by seven farmers in a tea shop all the way back in 1910. Since these early beginnings in Warwickshire, it has ploughed on to become a UK-wide company, offering various types of insurance and other financial services.
Who underwrites NFU Mutual’s car insurance?
NFU Mutual’s car insurance policies are underwritten by NFU Mutual Services.
NFU Mutual is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Compare NFU Mutual’s car insurance policies
1 - 2 of 2
What are NFU Mutual’s levels of cover?
NFU Mutual has three different levels of insurance: You can get third party cover; third party, fire and theft protection; or a comprehensive policy.
If you have an old banger of a car, then you might opt for the lowest and most basic of these options – third party insurance.
For some people, this is often the cheapest choice, yet it’s always worth getting quotes for third party, fire and theft and comprehensive policies too.
Why? Higher risk drivers have historically taken out third party policies, so insurers sometimes charge you more for these types of deals.
- Third party
- Third party, fire and theft
- Comprehensive cover
- Optional extras
NFU Mutual’s Third Party
This is the lowest level of car insurance cover NFU Mutual offers. It only covers any injury or damage you do to other people and their property.
This means your own car has zero protection. With NFU Mutual, there is one major perk though. With any of its motor insurance policies, you get Mutual Assist breakdown cover provided by the RAC as standard.
NFU Mutual’s Third Party, Fire and Theft
This is the mid-range level of cover NFU Mutual offers. It protects other people and their property if you’re involved in a collision, while also covering your car for any damage it suffers as a result of fire or theft. Extras like in-car entertainment system cover and courtesy car cover are included too.
NFU Mutual’s Comprehensive
This protects you for all that third party, fire and theft does, but it also covers your vehicle for any accidental damage or vandalism. You also get several perks with NFU Mutual’s comprehensive policy, such as windscreen repair, entertainment system cover and a courtesy car if your vehicle needs repairs.
NFU Mutual also has a number of extras to add to your cover. Optional extras include the following:
- Continental breakdown cover
- Protected no claims discount protection
- RAC National Assist cover
- Increased personal possessions cover for motorhomes up to £1,000
What’s covered under my policy?
|NFU Mutual Third party, fire and theft
|NFU Mutual comprehensive
|Damage to your car
|Damaged windscreen and window glass
|Fire and theft
|Personal accident cover
|Liabilities to third parties
|Using the car abroad
|Permanently fitted audio equipment
Check your policy document carefully to ensure it covers everything you need it to cover.
Like with all insurers, NFU Mutual has a list of reasons why it will refuse to pay out for a claim. You will not be covered in the following situations:
- If you use your car for any purposes not outlined in your motor insurance certificate.
- If damage is a result of wear and tear.
- If your personal possessions aren’t kept in a locked boot or compartment.
For a full list and explanation of the exclusions, see your insurance policy.
How to save on your NFU Mutual car insurance policy
- Drive responsibly. Insurers will charge you more in premiums if you build up a history of speeding tickets and make frequent claims.
- Keep your car locked up securely. Putting your car in a garage or leaving it parked in a secure driveway will lower your insurance costs.
- Lower mileage. If you’re set to retire or you’ve moved to a job that’s closer to home, tell your insurer. It may decide to lower your premiums.
- Up the excess. Voluntarily agreeing to a higher excess will lower your premiums – although be aware that it could drive up costs in the long run if you have to claim.
- Pick a smaller car. Driving a smaller and less powerful car will generally push insurance costs down.
- Check comprehensive. An insurer may charge you less for comprehensive, as higher risk customers have historically opted for third party deals. So get quotes for comprehensive policies too.
What is my excess?
A car insurance policy excess is the amount you have to contribute towards the costs incurred from a claim and will generally be up to £350. By volunteering to pay a higher excess, you can lower your premium costs. Or vice versa, by lowering your excess fees, you can drive up your premiums. What you’re liable to pay in excess costs will be decided when you take out your policy.
How do I make a claim?
You can make a claim with NFU Mutual by calling its 24-hour claims service on 0800 282 652. You’ll need to have your insurance details to hand when you get in touch.
NFU Mutual car insurance customer reviews
Customers who took part in Finder’s 2023 customer satisfaction survey were fairly positive about NFU Mutual, with many highlighting its “superb” customer service and reliable insurance payouts.
Customers have said, “NFU Mutual has provided my car insurance for a few years now at very reasonable rates, and I’ve had absolutely no problems when I made a claim“, and “Their cover is amazing. It offers all the things other companies would class as optional extras.”
NFU Mutual received an overall customer satisfaction score of 4 out of 5, and 73% of customers would recommend the brand to a friend.
Frequently asked questions
Yes – and you won’t be charged any admin fees.
Regardless of whether you have third party insurance or a comprehensive policy, you’ll be covered for the following countries:
Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
You can cancel your NFU car insurance deal at any time by calling or writing the company. It will give you a pro-rata refund for the time in your coverage you haven’t used.
All of NFU Mutual’s car insurance policies include Mutual Assist Breakdown cover from the RAC as standard.
Unfortunately, it only covers breakdowns that are less than 1/4 mile from your home. But, if you’re more than this distance away, it will provide emergency roadside assistance, a tow to a garage and a hire car for up to 48 hours if your car can’t be repaired on the day.
Car insurance scores
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Finder scores are based on our expert analysis of policies. Our customer satisfaction scores ("Customers say") are based on a survey of 1,654 customers carried out in December 2022.
Learn the details of our methodology and scoring.
*Based on data provided by Consumer Intelligence Ltd, www.consumerintelligence.com (June ’23). 51% of car insurance customers could save £488.46
I'm an insurance expert with extensive knowledge of various insurance providers, policies, and industry trends. Over the years, I have closely monitored and analyzed the offerings of numerous insurance companies, including NFU Mutual. My expertise extends to understanding the intricacies of car insurance policies, coverage options, and the factors that influence insurance premiums.
Now, let's delve into the key concepts and information presented in the article about NFU Mutual's car insurance:
NFU Mutual Overview:
- NFU Mutual, or the National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Society Ltd, was founded in 1910.
- It initially served farmers but has expanded to offer insurance and financial services across the UK.
Levels of Cover:
- NFU Mutual provides three levels of car insurance: third-party, third-party fire and theft, and comprehensive.
- Both comprehensive and third-party, fire and theft policies receive a full 5 out of 5 stars rating by Defaqto.
- All policies include breakdown cover, courtesy car, and personal accident cover.
- These benefits are usually optional extras with other insurers.
- NFU Mutual offers several optional extras that can be added to the policy, such as continental breakdown cover, protected no claims discount, RAC National Assist cover, and increased personal possessions cover for motorhomes.
- The article notes that the NFU Mutual website could be challenging to navigate, but it provides details about cover levels and claims procedures.
NFU Mutual's Origin and Underwriting:
- NFU Mutual started as a provider for farmers and has evolved into a UK-wide company.
- NFU Mutual's car insurance policies are underwritten by NFU Mutual Services.
- It is authorized by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Customer reviews from Finder's 2023 survey highlight positive feedback about NFU Mutual's customer service and reliable insurance payouts.
- The overall customer satisfaction score is 4 out of 5, with 73% of customers recommending the brand.
How to Save on Premiums:
- Tips for saving on NFU Mutual car insurance include driving responsibly, securing your car, declaring lower mileage, adjusting the excess, and considering a smaller car.
Making a Claim:
- Claims can be made through NFU Mutual's 24-hour claims service at 0800 282 652.
Coverage and Exclusions:
- Coverage details for each policy level, including damage, fire and theft, personal accident cover, and liabilities to third parties.
- General exclusions, such as using the car for unauthorized purposes or damage due to wear and tear.
- NFU Mutual car insurance covers various countries, including Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, and several European countries.
Mutual Assist Breakdown Cover:
- NFU Mutual's car insurance policies include Mutual Assist Breakdown cover from the RAC as standard.
- The breakdown cover extends to emergency roadside assistance, towing, and a hire car for certain distances.
- The article provides Finder scores, rating NFU Mutual as "Excellent."
Consumer Intelligence Data:
- The article mentions data from Consumer Intelligence Ltd, indicating potential savings for car insurance customers.
In conclusion, NFU Mutual appears to offer comprehensive car insurance with various coverage options and additional benefits. The article provides insights into the company's history, policies, customer satisfaction, and ways to optimize insurance premiums. If you are considering NFU Mutual for your car insurance needs, it's advisable to carefully review the policy details and explore the optional extras based on your preferences and requirements.