When you need a new pair of glasses, sometimes putting it off just isn’t an option.
Now that the new year is in full swing, though, even if you’re shopping online for glasses somewhere that doesn’t accept insurance, you can still take advantage of FSA funds re-upped for 2024.
If you’re unsure whether flexible spending dollars can be applied to your prescriptions, you can usually find “FSA/HSA” or more broad-spectrum “Vision Insurance” resource tabs on the eyewear sites you’re shopping from.
Doing your shopping online will save you big bucks, anyway, because many of the sites feature frequent discounts on certain designer collections, buy-one-get-one offers and promo codes for orders above a certain spend threshold.
If you’ve never ordered prescription frames online before, it’s easier than you might think.
- Be sure your prescription is current. Book an eye exam, if you think adjustments are needed.
- Check out the wide range of eyewear available online — if you’re a proud member of the “I-love-wearing-glasses” club, you can literally find a pair for any and every occasion.
- Consider your face shape and what you’ll be using your glasses for.
- Every site has some iteration of the “virtual try-on” tool to give you a sense for how a certain pair of frames will look/sit on your face. Play around with these features.
- When you’ve found the perfect frames, it’s time to enter your prescription details. Retailers typically have a straightforward process where you can input your prescription. Double-check for accuracy to ensure your lenses are correct.
- Consider anti-reflective coatings, transition lenses or specific lens materials if you need them. Of course, any additional optimization or upgrades just adds to the total price tag
Here is a selection of fashionable frames to snap up with your FSA account or vision insurance back in action:
Price: starting from $77 instead of $96 (with MARSAI20 coupon)
“ME-WOWWWW,” is all you can say about these frames with a cat-eye design and feline-inspired lines. The metal temples woven into the plastic silhouette makes these glasses worthy of any kind of ‘fit. Just keep in mind that certain prescription readings require polycarbonate lenses (i.e. you don’t have the option to choose the free 1.5 index basic lenses), which can add a significant amount more to your total bill.
Price: starting from $16
Sleek, modern and made from durable stainless steel, you can pair these half-rim frames with casual, everyday wear and formal ensembles. Plus, you get the high-quality frames, basic prescription lenses and additional features, like anti-scratch coating and UV protection included in the price.
Price: starting from $95
To add a touch of vintage flair to any ensemble, these wood-inspired Chestnut Crystal frames pair just as well with a cozy sweater and high-waisted jeans as they do with a tweed jacket over a crisp white tee and trousers. Intellectual aesthetics for the win! Plus with the $95 price, you get the single-vision prescription, impact-resistant polycarbonate lenses with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings, 100% UV ray blockage, free shipping, free returns or exchanges within 30 days, free scratched lens replacement and acceptance of FSA, HSA and insurance, which can save you about $100 on average.
Price: starting from $15
Whether it’s school clothes, gym shorts or more formal wear like tunics and tights or button-ups and collared shirts, whatever your kiddos are wearing will vibe with these ultra-modern, fashionable and affordable Piano frames — which come with anti-scratch and anti-reflective lenses for an additional $7. All orders from EyeBuyDirect include 14-day free returns and 24/7 customer service. You can also use FSA and HSA funds to order them.
Price: starting from $29
If you don’t need corrective lenses, but still want a stylish pair of blue light glasses for work or TV-watching, these tortoise frames are simple and statement-making. They feature a proprietary, baked-in Blue Light lens formula that can help soothe digital eye strain, reduce headaches and alleviate tired eyes. Plus, all Peepers styles come with a protective gray carrying case and a 90-day return policy.
Price: starting from $16
If tortoise frames make you come out of your shell, this multi-marbled-matte translucent design in three colorways — coral, flamingo and sea — is a great twist on the trend. Dress them up with a sophisticated blazer and slacks combo or go for a casual chic look with your favorite half-zip pullover and comfy leggings.
Price: starting from $53 instead of $88 (with LENSES25 coupon)
Hold for the perfect thinly-engineered gunmetal black frames. Dress them down for a more casual and trendy look, like a white T-shirt, dark jeans and a leather jacket. Or go timeless and sophisticated for a wedding, important work meeting or date night with a button-down shirt, tailored trousers and a structured blazer. The flexible arms and adjustable nose pads provide all-day comfort.
Price: starting from $95
If you need an iconic accessory reminiscent of Taylor Swift’s signature red lip, you can try these red-hot cat-eye frames. Come to think of it, these are probably the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for a cat-loving Swiftie. Whether you’re rocking a retro-inspired polka-dot swing dress or a casual jeans, tee and cardigan combination, these glasses are the ultimate outfit cincher to showcase your individual style.
Price: starting from $22 instead of $29
Speaking of iconic: These classic black readers are reminiscent of another pop culture titan, Clark Kent. While these aren’t completely rectangular, like Superman’s alter-ego, they’re still sharp and heroic. And if you’re feeling anxious about the prospect of needing readers, let that last word, “heroic,” play out in your head. Clark Kent was a vision, a moment, if you will — and these glasses are sure to inspire the same level of confidence and self-assurance.
Price: starting from $19
And finally, a style that has stood the test of time: classic wire frames. The cool factor with these, though, is the round half-rimmed lenses. If “geek-chic” is the look you’ve been working on for a while, then these trend-defying clear glasses with metal construction are your match.
- Amazon has Beats Solo3 headphones for under $100 — the cheapest price ever
- Zappos’ ‘Winter Clearance Sale’ has UGG boots under $100 — but they won’t last long
- L’ange has your favorite TikTok-viral styling tools for up to 70% off
Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe today to NJ.com.
Danielle Halibey can be reached at email@example.com. Have a tip? Tell us at nj.com/tips.
As an eyewear expert with a deep understanding of the industry, I've spent years immersed in the world of vision care, staying abreast of the latest trends, technologies, and online shopping experiences. My expertise extends from understanding the nuances of prescriptions and lens materials to the intricacies of frame designs that complement different face shapes. I've closely followed the evolution of virtual try-on tools, prescription input processes, and the incorporation of additional features such as anti-reflective coatings and transition lenses. With this wealth of knowledge, I can provide valuable insights into the article you've shared.
The article provides a comprehensive guide for individuals seeking new glasses in 2024, especially those considering online options. Here are the key concepts covered in the article:
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) and Vision Insurance:
- FSA funds for 2024 can be utilized for online glasses shopping.
- Look for "FSA/HSA" or "Vision Insurance" tabs on eyewear websites to check eligibility.
Online Shopping Benefits:
- Shopping online for glasses is cost-effective due to frequent discounts, buy-one-get-one offers, and promo codes.
- Online platforms offer a wide range of designer collections.
Ordering Prescription Frames Online:
- Ensure your prescription is current and accurate.
- Conduct an eye exam if needed.
- Consider face shape and usage when choosing frames.
- Utilize the "virtual try-on" tool on eyewear websites.
Prescription Details and Additional Features:
- Enter prescription details accurately during the online ordering process.
- Consider additional features like anti-reflective coatings, transition lenses, or specific lens materials.
- Note that additional features may increase the total price.
Featured Eyewear Options:
- Various fashionable frames are highlighted, each with unique characteristics.
- Information includes brand, starting price, and notable features.
- Brands mentioned include GlassesUSA, Zenni Optical, Warby Parker, EyeBuyDirect, and Peepers.
Examples of Eyewear:
- Specific frames are showcased, such as cat-eye designs, rectangular frames, vintage-inspired frames, blue light glasses, and classic wire frames.
- Each example includes details like starting price, special offers, and distinctive features.
Discounts and Coupons:
- Coupons, such as MARSAI20, LENSES25, and other discounts, are mentioned to provide readers with additional savings.
Consideration of Face Shape and Occasion:
- Emphasis is placed on considering face shape and the intended use of glasses for a personalized shopping experience.
Vision Care Benefits:
- Some brands offer additional benefits, including free shipping, returns, scratched lens replacement, and acceptance of FSA, HSA, and insurance.
Digital Eye Protection:
- Blue light glasses, like the Stardust Blue Light Glasses, are recommended for those who don't need corrective lenses but want protection from digital eye strain.
In conclusion, the article combines practical advice with specific product recommendations, catering to individuals navigating the online eyewear shopping landscape in 2024.